Friday, May 17, 2013

My Scottish Heritage

Okay, so I've NEVER been one to talk about my Scottish heritage because I am was born in Virginia and raised in North Carolina. I will always been a girl from the Southeastern US and very proud of that. However,  I do have such a strong connection to Scotland because of my love for Highland Dance and Scots Gaelic music. I'll never forget the first time I arrived in Scotland. I was in the train station and as I walked out into the most beautiful city I've every seen (Edinburgh) I really felt like I belonged there. I can't describe that feeling, but I'll never forget it.

So maybe there is some connection due to my heritage...who knows. I must also recognize that my last name comes from my great-grandfather who came from Slovakia and the name itself is originally from Croatia. ( I THINK?) So maybe there is also an undiscovered passion for Croatian music too! HA!

Anyway, I just thought it was really fun to discover more about my Family Tree from Scotland. And then for those people who say "Why do you sing Scottish music? Licko isn't a Scottish name", I can now tell them that my great (4 times) grandpa came over to North Carolina on a boat from Scotland. ...hmmmm I wonder if he was a singer too????

The Guthries originally came from Scotland in the latter part of 1700. Four Guthrie brothers came by boat to the United States.  One of the brother's was the father of JOHN WESLEY GUTHRIE.  JOHN WESLEY GUTHRIE's father (John J Guthrie) got off the boat at Morehead City, North Carolina.

John J Guthrie MY GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GRANDPA
John Wesley Guthrie 1825 MY GREAT GREAT GREAT GRANDPA
Thomas Hubert Guthrie 1854  MY GREAT GREAT GRANDPA
Mary Katherine Guthrie Kelly 1879 MY GREAT GRANDMA
Floie Estelle Kelly 1916 MY GRANDMA
Benjamin Shelton Licko 1947 MY DADDY
Jennifer Shelton Licko 1976  ME ME ME!



No comments:

About Me

My photo
Sacramento, California, United States